You can access Practical Law Australia from any computer with internet access. Simply enter your username and password in the login fields via your Thomson Reuters' OnePass login.
Technical specifications are set out below. You should check with your information technology department to ensure compatibility.
Supported operating systems
- Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Windows Vista®
- Mac® OS 10.5 or later
- Internet Explorer 9 or later (Windows only)
- Mozilla Firefox current version or Extended Support Release version
- Safari 5.0 or later
- 1024x768 or higher screen resolution recommended
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later (some print functionality is lost with older versions)
- Adobe Flash
Yes. Practical Law Australia's team of expert legal writers regularly publish Legal Updates analysing the practical implications of changes to legislation, common law, regulations and market practice. In addition, you can opt in to receive weekly current awareness emails that summarise the week's developments in the practice areas that interest you. All emails link to comprehensive legal updates and fully maintained know-how resources, including practice notes and standard documents, so you can approach changes to the law with confidence.
Yes. A selection of our most popular standard documents (including Powers of Attorney, deeds, forms and agreements) are available as Practical Law Automated Documents, powered by Contract Express. Users have the option to automate the completion of these documents using a user-friendly questionnaire, allowing them to produce a first-draft document in less time, and ensure quality and consistency so they can delegate drafting with confidence.
Automation functionality is subject to a minimum subscription threshold.
Practical Law Australia's resources contain references to case law and legislation when relevant. These are linked for your convenience, and the case or legislative provision will open on screen for you to view. You can use the standard Practical Law delivery options to then download, print, email, or save to your Practical Law folders for future reference.
As part of the greater Thomson Reuters group, the Practical Law Australia team has access to a range of expert teams who specialise in monitoring the introduction and passing of legislation in all state and territory parliaments, and distilling the leading points from new case law in most Australian courts, commissions and tribunals. Each day, the Practical Law Australia team receives a digest of relevant case law and legislation from these teams, and updates its content accordingly.
We monitor thousands of paper and website sources daily to identify developments that have a practical impact on the work of front-line lawyers, and continually update our practice notes, standard documents and clauses, and checklists. You can check whether a resource has been updated by viewing the status under the title of the document to check it is 'Maintained'.
Resources are subject to rigorous quality control and currency reviews, including input from our consultation boards and expert contributors. We also carry out annual reviews.
Practical Law Australia's know-how takes you beyond traditional legal knowledge resources by explaining how the law applies in practice. Our know-how resources provide practical approaches and solutions to legal issues, documents and transactions. Our expert team of legal writers have had extensive experience in legal practice, and know what questions you need answered most. Practical know-how complements more traditional legal knowledge resources to give lawyers a better start.
Our resources include:
- Practice notes give clear explanations of current law and practice. We consult primary sources, leading practitioners and texts, distilling the principles so you can advise with confidence.
- Standard documents and clauses are up-to-date precedents that reflect current law and practice with expert commentary, including detailed drafting and negotiating resources, opposing positions and alternative clauses.
- Checklists help make sure you have covered all bases. A quick reference reminder of the law as it applies in practice.
- Legal updates explain what you need to know about new cases or legislative changes in your area of practice. Opt in to get update emails delivered straight to your inbox.
- Global guides allow you to review and compare the law across multiple jurisdictions.
Not only is our know-how practical, it's always up-to-date. The "maintained" status of our materials means that content is constantly monitored and updated by our in-house legal writers to reflect current law and practice.
Practical Law delivers practical legal knowledge and resources to more than 130,000 lawyers from 8,000 firms and in-house legal departments across the globe. We provide legal know-how to the best law firms and companies in the UK, US and beyond.
Practical Law Australia's expert team of legal writers have had extensive experience in legal practice, and work collaboratively with leading practitioners and barristers to deliver specialist practical resources. We understand the pressure to deliver timely and cost effective legal advice, that's why our legal know-how delivers clear and concise expertise from a practical perspective. Practical Law Australia gives lawyers a better start.